Friday, September 5, 2008

War Stories

Recently I talked to someone who invited everyone in her family to the birth, I mean to the actual birth in the birthing room.  
Like, brothers and father in-laws, and ...?  When I read Spiritual Midwifery, there were countless warnings that if anyone made you feel slightly uncomfortable, don't invite them.  Okay, as long as my husband didn't look "down there" he could be in the room, but brother and father in-law, no way!!!!!!!  
I had heard the story of a yogi that was completely silent during her labor,  I was determined to try something like this for my second birth experience.  After all, I am a yogi, I should be able to endure in silence.  
I shared this story with my midwife after enduring 3 hours of excruciating back labor (I had a bruise on my sacrum after).  She said that the only silent labor she attended was eerie and the woman had previously given birth in foxholes during the Vietnam War.  After that, I let loose... I was using very colorful language with each contraction, then I remembered the story Ram Das told about his stroke.  He had spent over thirty years chanting mantras and at the crucial moment, when he could have been dying, he said "oh shit"! 
 The yogis say that your last thought as you pass from one world to the next becomes the theme of your existence.  I certainly didn't want my daughter to become obsessed with the word I was uttering.  I changed to a really long FuOoooooMMMMMM.   At least my daughter will now be capable of changing in mid-stream from F@*# to OMMMMM     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is speculation that the first words uttered by humans were curse words that arose spontaneously in times of physical distress or injury. I say let the f bombs fly if thats what the body does!