Monday, September 8, 2008

Mantra

Mantra literally means calming the mind.  A mantra is generally used to re-direct the thoughts from disturbing to higher minded thoughts.  
Here are some tantrum inducing mantras that my two year old has started with.  "Mommy, say 'you don't know what to do with me'!"  Tonight's was the most disturbing yet.  "Mommy, say 'what is wrong with me'."  Oh no, what is wrong with you?  Nothing, dear, you are perfect.  "No, say, 'what is wrong with me'!"  She broke down in tears over this one, because she wanted me to say it and I just couldn't do it consciously. 
I must be saying it to her, but I can't think of when.  I am racking my brains while she is hysterical over what is wrong with her and I can't think of when I have said this to her.  Then she shoves Roxy and Roxy almost falls over onto her head and I said it, "What is wrong with you"?  My mantra that I got from my parents was, "You need to do more".  "We need to get something done".  "there isn't time for doing anything fun, we have so much on our list that needs to get done".  
My parents were visiting recently for over two weeks and we kept trying to take them out to do something enjoyable.  They kept saying that we have too much to get done.  I am trying to erase my old mantras with things like, "I Love You"!  "You are amazing"!  There is a lot of un-doing to be done.  
What is wrong with me?

No comments: