Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Want to be a Daddy

For a few charming weeks it was, "we are both mommies" after our week from hell, it is now, "I am a daddy".
Gender awareness is creeping in.  Edie talks a lot about her imaginary brother.  She has dreams about being a boy and making daddy cry.  (Not sure what that's about).  She is becoming acutely aware of gender differences in spite of our post-feminist world.  Even though mommy and daddy both work, there are some obvious differences.  For one, Daddy is ALWAYS working.  He is all full of fun and laughs for a half hour and then, "Sweetie, I have to work".  
Edie is always pulling out her computer or e-mailing people from "Keviemetal Corf", saying "I have to work".
He gets the short end of the stick most of the time, he gets kicked out of the room, he doesn't get to read stories.  He can't nurse the little one and mommy is the preferred word in the middle of an emotional crisis.  It isn't exactly ego-inflating to be the Daddy.  
They say that moms do 20% more work regardless of who brings home the tempeh bacon.  I don't knock my husband, because he works EXCESSIVELY to keep us afloat, but if I were a child seeing that mommy gets to do the laundry and the dishes and she is the short-tempered one who puts me to bed every night, I'd want to be a daddy too.

No comments: