Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Shaucha-Cleanliness or how not to trip all over toys

Before I became a parent, I had a lot of ideas about what I didn't want for our children.  My biggest pet peeve?  Toys all over the house.  Now I may be lumped with all of the fifties moms but I loved the horror story one of my friends told about how her mom would throw away any toys that they left lying about when they went to bed.  For her it was traumatic, for me, it sounded therapeutic.  There is nothing like the silent pain of a small wheel jamming your tender foot in the middle of the night.  If I become sleep deprived enough, I will be an insomniac who rents a big dumpster and just keeps throwing things away. 
 One of my favorite how to parenting books is called "Confessions of a Slacker Mom"  In the book, she tells tender stories of her very practical mom who only saved a few things from her children and kept them in her bathroom drawer.   
 Now, I am very sentimental about the few things that I still have from when I was little, each year we made Christmas ornaments and my mom saved them for us, I have the baby clothes that were just mine, not hand-me downs,  and I put my daughters in them, I have the cool cardboard box haunted house that I made, and I haul out my childhood easter decorations every year, but there are only a few very special things.  They mean a lot to me.  
There are so few toys that remain current and so many children have too many toys.  Having a room, or worse, a house full of toys just doesn't work for me.  
As the little one outgrows things, I give them away.   The nagging question for me however, is how do we maintain the special nature of toys without being overly attached.  For my friend whose mother threw things out, and I, who had mostly hand-me-downs, I think that the lack of new things created a hoarding tendency in us.  I shamefully collect all sorts of things and try to fill my psychological 'not enough' with a physical 'enough'.  
 Recently when we were trying to get our older daughter to share with the baby she declared, "But I don't have enough toys to share."  Where did she get this idea?  
How do I teach my children that what we have is enough?  I want them to equate that being enough is having enough.  As we start to give toys away, I am trying to build a direct relationship to giving a lot as a way of being enough.  
Some friends of mine have close relationships with orphanages all over the world.  As we dedicate toys for those children, so we dedicate space in our own hearts and on our toy shelves.  A clear toy shelf makes a clear heart.

No comments: