Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fantasy vs. Reality

I went to pick up my daughter early from school.  I know how excited she will be to see me since she is usually the last child to be picked up.  She runs into my arms with a big smile and says "Mommy, I love you"!  It is bliss and I am transformed by the wonderful reaction by this three year old.  We fall into each others arms planting kisses and talking in our secret language.  What bliss it is to be a mom.   
Reality check.  I arrive 30 minutes early and my daughter hisses at me.  She continues to play in the loft with her friends, one by one their mothers come and they embrace them  and leave.  
Finally it is me, my daughter, Kyle and teacher Jasmine.  I make light conversation with her teacher and Kyle's mom shows up.  She takes pity on me and gives me a sticker to entice my daughter away.  My daughter shoves me.  
Kyle's mom offers me a lollipop to entice my daughter.  My daughter says adamantly "NO"! I try to hide the tears that start to fall involuntarily.  
I tell her that everyone is leaving and that they will turn off the lights and leave her there alone.  She says, "OKAY"!  
Oh god, my daughter would rather stay in the school with no one here, than go with me.  
Eventually, we are forced to leave as her teacher drags the trash in one hand and holds my daughter's hand with the other.  
I know somehow I am supposed to be pleased that she likes school so much, but I feel incredibly useless, let-down.  It is time for some serious behavior modification.  I'm not sure if it is hers or mine.

No comments: