Saturday, October 4, 2008

Do you want to play with me?

I had a particularly emotional weekend when my best friend came to New York for a concert.  My life theme seems to be one of being left out.  I have all sorts of issues with this and have had to try to come to terms with it in all sorts of weird ways.  This issue runs deep in the fabric of my life and I won't go into to much detail.
Suffice it to say, we had a misunderstanding and I thought I was being left out of an opportunity to revel in debauchery with my friends one night when she was visiting.  I spent the next day waiting to be included and post-partum depression makes me cry.  I cried all day.  When Iri saw me crying and asked why I was so sad, I explained that it was like when you see a whole bunch of friends playing and you want to join them but you don't know how, you feel left out.
She looked at me with a sad little look and  took my hand.  she looked at me and said "mommy, do you want to play with me"? Now that is compassion.  And I did.  It helped me to stop crying.

No comments: